Congratulations! You’ve decided to trade in your phone and are about to cash in the big time. Now all you need to do is send it off. Here is everything you need know about what to do when selling your device!
Let’s get started: what to do before selling any device
- Make sure you have backed up all your data including your contacts
- Remove your SIM card and a microSD card
- Log out of all applications which may contain personal information, for example social media sites
- Perform a data wipe on the device
- Note down the phone or tablet serial number, so you have it in your records
- Postage tip: post your device with Royal Mail Tracked delivery so it is insured and you can see when it arrives
How to sell an iPhone/ iPad
1. Back up your Apple device
Before you start, make sure you back up your Apple device. This means you can easily restore all the files onto your new phone when you get it. The best thing to do is back up files to iCloud, back up files to iTunes, or even back up files to a third party cloud storage. Here’s how:
- Connect to the WiFi
- Go to settings > iCloud > Backup OR Storage & Backup
- Ensure iCloud Backup is turned on, then click Back Up Now
- Ensure the backup worked by going to settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage. The backup should appear with the latest time and backup size
- Connect your phone to your computer and open iTunes
- Click on File > Devices > Backup
- Check the backup was successful by going to Preferences > Devices. Your latest backup should appear with the date, time and backup size
2. How to wipe an iPhone/ iPad
Great! You’ve successfully backed up your iPhone data. Now you need to know how to wipe an iPhone. Luckily we are here to tell you exactly what to do! Removing data from your iPhone is more important than ever now, especially if you’ve made the most of things like Apple Pay and Find My Phone. Plus, perhaps even more vital than erasing those embarrassing cat selfies, is removing the iPhone activation lock, which applies to devices on iOS7 and above.
Here is how to erase your iPhone:
- Connect to the WiFi
- Go to your settings app
- Click General, then scroll all the way to the bottom and select Reset
- Click Erase All Content and Settings > Erase iPhone > Erase iPhone again
- Your iPhone will require your Apple ID password > click Erase
- This will have removed your iCloud account from the device, and deactivated Find My Phone
3. How do I remove my iCloud account from my device?
When selling your iPhone, most phone recycling companies will require you to remove your iCloud account from your device, or remover your activation lock. Activation Lock is a security feature on devices with iOS7 and upwards. The good news is, if you have just wiped your iphone with the instructions above, your device will be unlocked from your iCloud account! Erasing all content and settings will also turn off Find My Phone – another feature that recyclers will require you to remove.
However, if you are unable to access wifi, here is how to remove your iCloud account via your desktop or laptop.
- Switch off your iOS device
- Go to icloud.com with your Apple ID and password
- Select find my iPhone
- Select a device from the All Devices drop down, your device will appear with the option to remove account
- Select Remove on confirmation message
How to sell an Android device
1. Back up your Android
There are lots of ways to back up your Android device. One of the easiest things to do may be to go to settings > back-up and reset, then tick ‘back up my data’.
This will ensure your app data, wifi passwords and other settings are synched to Google servers.
Then go to accounts & sync in settings. Tap on your Gmail and you should be able to see what is being synced. This is where you can back-up your contacts, calendar, music and Google Sheets.
To back up your photos, You can do this via Google photos, which is probably the easiest way. Google Photos allows you to back up an unlimited number of files at 2048px. You can auto-back these up in settings > general settings > auto-backup and click ‘On’.
2. How to wipe your android
The easiest way to wipe your android is with a factory re-set. The exact process may differ per each device, but you can generally find a ‘back-up and reset’ option in settings.
First though you may want to encrypt your phone, to ensure that any data which may get left on the device will be scrambled, and will require a special key to unscramble it. To do this go to Settings > Security > Encryption. This may vary per device.
Then go to Settings > Back-up & Reset > Factory Data Reset. Tap this option, and the phone will detail which data will be removed from the device. Once you select Reset, it will erase this data.
Tip: remember to make sure you are logged out of all social accounts and emails.
How to sell a Windows device
1. Back up your Windows device
You can automatically back up your Windows device to the Cloud by going to Settings > Backup. This will back up your apps, settings, texts, photos and videos.
Tip: make sure your phone is on a WIFI connection so the back-up definitely complete
2. How to wipe your Windows device
A factory reset is the easiest way to wipe a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 phone. This can be done by going to Settings > About > Reset Your Phone. Confirm the action and then your phone will wipe.
Once you have done this then log into your Microsoft account at account.microsoft.com and remove the device from your account. You should find this under the Device tab.
Latest posts by Compare MyMobile (see all)
- 7 of the world’s thinnest phone devices 2016 - March 9, 2016
- FCS PRESS RELEASE: New Best Practice code on stolen devices launched for the mobile phone industry - February 2, 2016
- Top 5: The Best Free Music Apps For Android - January 7, 2016